Once your identity (ID) has been stolen it can be almost impossible to recover.
But don’t Panic!! Help is a click away
Some of the things that criminals may be able to do with your identity include:
- tricking your bank or financial institution into giving them access to your money and other accounts
- opening new accounts and accumulating large debts in your name which will ruin your credit rating and good name
- taking control of your accounts including by changing the address on your credit card or other accounts so you don’t receive statements and don’t realise there is a problem
- opening a phone, internet or other service account in your name
- claiming government benefits in your name
- lodging fraudulent claims for tax refunds in your name and preventing you from being able to lodge your legitimate return
Keep Your Driving License Safe
If your identity is stolen:
- File a report at the Australian Cyber Security Centre
- Contact the three major Australian credit reporting agencies Equifax, Illion and Experian, and obtain a free copy of your credit file
- Place a ban on your credit file with those agencies — this can stop criminals accessing credit in your name
- Advise your bank and review your security arrangements
- Update your online banking, email and other passwords — use unique passwords for each account
- Set up multi-factor authentication — where possible don’t just use SMS, use something like an authenticator app
- This is to limit the damage done by SIM swaps and phone porting
- Monitor your phone closely — if it suddenly stops working it may have been ported.
IDCARE is Australia and New Zealand’s national identity and cyber support service. They are a not-for-profit Australian charity that was formed to address a critical support gap for individuals confronting identity and cyber security concerns.
IDCARE provides specialist Identity & Cyber Security Counsellors and Analysts that apply a human-centred approach to identity and cyber security.
Need more help?
Covid-19 Update: Business as usual for workshop repairs, remote support and onsite support.
If you live in Western Australia, and you need any kind of computer help, please bring your computer to us at 315 Rokeby Road, Subiaco, Western Australia or call us out. You can email us at email@example.com or call:
For instant remote control sessions, follow the instructions found on this page