IT disasters – A private organisation with FileCryptor Ransomware
A real account of a recent incident experienced by an private organisation known to us in the Perth, Western Australia (December 2016) infected with FileCryptor Ransomware.
An employee of a private organisation in Perth received a dubious email disguised as an invoice. The email did not have an attachment and on face value appeared to be from a genuine source. However, it did contain a link in the email supposedly to an invoice.
Upon clicking the link the employee was asked to confirm the source by the anti-virus program and a file was allowed to be downloaded. At that point in time nothing happened to her computer and she thought nothing untoward had happened, except a faulty link that must have been incorrect. She thought no more of the incident.
Unbeknown to the employee, an executable program (.exe) had been silently downloaded and saved in the “Startup” directory. Executable files in this directory are automatically run or executed up the start or restart of the computer and it was not until some time later that the file was executed and the
Prevention is ALWAYS better than CURE and this can be achieved by implementing ALL of these suggestions.
- Using monitored Anti-Virus software such as AVG Cloudcare.
- Local backup rotated and checked on a regular basis (PC’s/Servers) to a NAS drive.
- Offsite/Cloud backup updated daily such as CrashPlanPro or ReadyCloud
- All email accounts setup on hosted-exchange platform such as Microsoft Hosted Exchange.
- Upgrading Internet to HFC, NBN or Fibre to facilitate quick Cloud backup and restore.
- Educate workforce on how to identify bogus emails and websites.
Our Preventative Maintenance Plans start from $66 per month, we offer 4 plans:
Cloud Backup Plan – setup and installing cloud backup only, we monitor the cloud backup monthly.¹²³
Basic Remote Backup Plan – monthly remote checkup of your local backup¹²³
Onsite Backup Plan – monthly site visit to check computers and servers and local backup¹²³
Comprehensive Backup Plan – monthly site visit to check computers, servers, local and cloud backup¹²³
- All plans include a FREE remote or on-site Audit of your companies IT systems before we recommend which plans would be the most suitable.
- All plans may require the upgrading of email accounts. Users of Microsoft Outlook often have very large email files with multiple folders and emails going back many years. Due to the size and nature of older Outlook data files (.pst and .ost) they may not be able to be readily backed up, especially to a cloud backup source and will need to be moved to a hosted exchange platform
- Cloud backup plans are only viable given reasonable internet download and upload speeds. Internet speed and NBN/HFC/Broadband availability will determine our recommended backup regime.
Need more help?
If you live in Western Australia, and you need any kind of computer help, please bring your computer to us at 315 Rokeby Road, Subiaco, Western Australia or call us out. You can contact us here or call: