Even with NBN Netflix, Stan and other tv streaming services can still keep re-buffering, stalling and need rebooting too often, we offer four solutions:
Fix 1 – Increase your Internet or Speed
If your internet download speed keeps dropping to 3 mbps or less , watching Netflix or Stan in HD or Ultra HD mode is going to be painful (how to test internet speed), ask your NBN provider to test your connection speed and possibly increase your data allowance and/or connection speed.
Fix 2 – Hard-wire your TV or fix Wi-Fi connectivity
Depending on the distance from your modem or access point to your TV or streaming box, you could be dropping speed and traffic by 20% – 80%.
Connecting directly or through a hard-wired network, eliminates this traffic loss and could increase your viewing experience dramatically.
If you have to connect by wi-fi, you may need to install an industry-strength Wi-Fi network system through the house.
Fix 3 – Reduce Concurrent Streaming use
Reduce the number of devices and TV's using Netflix/Stan simultaneously on the same connection, each connection use between 0.3 GB to 7 GB per hour of data. For example a maximum 25 mbps download speed plan can only deliver a Maximum of 11GB of data per hour. 2 Ultra HD connections will kill your data plan unless you are on an unlimited plan.
Concurrent steaming over Wi-Fi will be almost impossible using a standard ISP supplied modem.
Fix 4 – Reduce Netflix quality
Netflix offers viewing in three modes (depending on the TVs capabilities), Low, Medium or High. If left on “Auto” Netflix will deliver the best picture quality possible. If you have buffering issues, try reducing the data-use-settings to “Low” or “Medium”
- Access your Account page from a web browser and select Playback Settings.
- Select your desired data usage setting (please note that each estimate below is per stream, and that restricting data usage may affect video quality):
- Low (0.3 GB per hour)
- Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
- High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
- Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)
- Select Save
Note: It may take up to 8 hours for these changes to take effect.