How to Check iPhone or iPad for iOS updates
How to check your iPhone or iPad has the latest iOS (Operating System) updates installed, and if not, how to install them.
Backup before Updating
It is always wise to backup your iPhone or iPad before attempting any updates.
Updating iPhone or iPad
The process for updating iOS is almost identical for the iPhone or the iPad
- Click on the “Settings” Icon.
2. Click on “General” > “Software Update“
3. Unless you are connected to a Wi Fi network or have mobile broadband you may get the following error.
Switch WI FI on (and plug in the power lead to make sure your device does not run out of battery)
4. Once connected to the Internet, the iOS software update can commence.
5. Tap Download and Install. If a message asks to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel. Later, iOS will reinstall apps that it removed. If you tap Cancel, learn what to do next.
6. To update now, tap Install. Or you can tap Later and choose Install Tonight or Remind Me Later. If you tap Install Tonight, just plug your iOS device into power before you go to sleep. Your device will update automatically overnight. If asked, enter your passcode. If you don’t know your passcode, learn what to do.
Alternatively – Install iOS updates using iTunes and the charger cable
Once iTunes has been loaded connect your devices together with a USB cable and iTunes should immediately start
Your iPhone or iPad comes with a cord which you will use daily to recharge your iPhone or iPad and will look something like this
Connecting the cable between your iPhone or iPad, to a Mac Computer or a Windows PC or Laptop
If iTunes does not start automatically, manually start it from the menu. If detected your device should appear automatically in the iTunes interface. iTunes will detect the name and capacity of your devices, the current operating system (iOS) and the update status.
Click on “Check for Update“