Office 2019/Office 365 Pricing and Products Explained
Updated Nov 2018
Purchasing a new version of Microsoft Office today in AUSTRALIA is different from the past because you now have many choices and it’s quite a minefield to negotiate. (click here for prices in other countries)
If you are looking for Microsoft Office for Business Version – click here
Microsoft Office 2019/2016/2013? – Which is the latest?
Microsoft Office 2019 is the current version of Microsoft Office, succeeding Office 2016. It was released to general availability for Windows 10 and for macOS on September 24, 2018.
What is the difference between Office 2019 and Office 365?
In very simple terms.
- Office 2019 is an outright purchase and costs from $199 per computer and is for customers who aren’t ready for the cloud, Office 2019 is the next on-premises version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Visio, Access, and Publisher.
- Office 365 is a monthly or annual subscription and costs as little as *A$26 per computer per year.
*based on purchasing Office 365 Home – A$129/year inc GST and installing on 5 computers
The outright purchase model is the traditional way of buying previous versions of Microsoft Office (2016, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007, 2003 etc). This is a very expensive way of purchasing Office and we recommend the subscription model.
And forget about discounted upgrade prices, there are NO UPGRADES available from Office 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2008, 2011 or earlier. If you wish to purchase Office 2016 or Office 365, you will need to pay outright for Office 2016 or per month or year for Office 365.
- Office 2019 and Office 365 have superseded Office 2016 (For Pc’s) and Office 2011 (for Mac.) or earlier (Office 2010, Office 2008, Office 2007, Office 2003 etc)
- Office 2019 will ONLY work on Windows 10 and MacOS (it no longer works on earlier windows versions)
- Office 2016 was recently upgraded to Office 2019
- Office 365 remains unchanged besides a renaming of the packages.
- Boxed retail versions of Office 2016 and Office 2011 for Mac are still available for purchase online and in retail outlets. Avoid these as you are purchasing old stock.
- Office 365 can be purchased as web-access only, for PC’s or Mac’s on 1 or more devices and there are Individual and Business versions available, offering different features and applications such as 50GB Mailboxes, Access etc.
- Microsoft Hosted Exchange – If you are an existing user of any version of Outlook you can get all the advantages of the more expensive options by simply add a Microsoft Hosted Exchange mailbox. Click here for details.
This document aims to help you select the most suitable version to suit your needs. (all prices in Australian Dollars)
Microsoft Office 2016 v Microsoft Office 2019 – What is the difference?
Basically very little in features except that Office 2019 only runs on Windows 10 or MacOS. It does not run on Windows 7 or earlier. When you purchase this version of Office (Office 2007, Office 2010, Office 2013 or Office 2016/19) there is NO FREE or automatic upgrade to the next version. This means that every 3 years you need to buy a new copy.
There are three versions of Office 2019 you can buy: Home & Student which has Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote; Home & Business which has that plus Outlook and Professional which has that plus Publisher and Access.
If you own a standalone version of Office 2013/16 there is NO UPGRADE available to upgrade it to Office 2019 . The IT Guys recommend you DO NOT waste money on Office 2019, purchase a version of Office 365 instead,
A major advantage of subscribing to Office 365 on a monthly or annual “subscription” basis, is that you always have access to the latest version of Office as long as you continue to pay the subscription fee.
Microsoft Office 365 – Annual Subscription Fee, Personal or Home
Licensed for 1 PC or 1 Mac
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, OneNote, 1TB Onedrive data. Skype – 60 minutes/month – Licensed for 1 PC or Mac
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, OneNote, Access, 1TB Onedrive data for up to 5 users. Skype – 60 minutes/month – Licensed for up to 5 PCs or Macs
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher and Access, 1TB Onedrive data – Licensed for up to 2 PCs, Macs, or tablets and 2 phones
Office 365 University is available to full- and part-time enrolled students, faculty, and staff of qualified, accredited higher education institutions. Alumni of these institutions aren’t eligible.
Qualified, accredited higher education institutions include Universities, Polytechnic schools, and Institutes of Technology, as well as other tertiary-level institutions, such as universities and vocational schools that award academic degrees or professional certifications. Restrictions may vary by country. Find out if you’re eligible.
Office as a one-time purchase includes applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for use on a single PC or Mac. The applications are not automatically updated; to get the latest version, you must purchase Office again when the new version becomes available. It DOES NOT include Outlook.
Office 365 for Education is a collection of services that allows you to collaborate and share your schoolwork. It’s available for free to teachers who are currently working at an academic institution and to students who are currently attending an academic institution. The service includes Office Online (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote), unlimited OneDrive storage , Yammer, and SharePoint sites. Some schools allow teachers and students to install the full Office applications on up to 5 PCs or Macs for free. If your school provides this additional benefit, you’ll see the Install Office button on your Office 365 home page after you complete sign-up.
Need more help?
If you live in Western Australia, and you need any kind of computer help, please bring your computer to us at 315 Rokeby Road, Subiaco, Western Australia or call us out. You can contact us here or call: